Faith, Culture, & Domestic Violence: Immigrant & Refugee Women
What better time than now to further diversify Indianapolis and further a deeper, more personal understanding of these unique situations of domestic violence against immigrant and refugee women. There has been a continued increase in the number of immigrants who are victims of domestic violence and require specialized support services that take into consideration cultural and religious beliefs. With more focused sessions on larger cultural and religious communities in the city, our goal is to be able to provide a more personal understanding of how best to support, understand, and respond to these situations. MAI has organized a full day of programming that will offer domestic violence providers, social workers, physical and mental health providers, law enforcement, the legal community, and the general public interested in learning more with valuable training and skills.
The tentative schedule below provides more information regarding workshop topics and sessions:
Tentative Workshop Schedule:
*Workshop sessions may vary according to location. Please visit the links for accurate session themes.
- 8:30 – 9:00 am: Welcome & Remarks
- 9:00 – 10:15 am: Interfaith Panel
- 10:15 – 10:30 am: Break
- 10:30 – 11:45 am: Domestic Violence in Muslim Communities
- 11:45 am – 1:15 pm: Lunch Lecture: Domestic Violence Against Immigrants and Refugees, Ethics, and the Law
- 1:15 – 1:30 pm: Break
- 1:30 – 2:45 pm: Domestic Violence in Burmese Communities
- 2:45 – 3:00 pm: Break
- 3:00 – 4:15 pm: Domestic Violence in Hispanic Communities
- 4:15 – 4:45 pm: Closing and Q&A Session
Please note the following important information:
- Registration Fee of $50 includes breakfast & lunch. Please contact Hannah Croucher ([email protected]) if you have any special dietary preferences. Lunch will have a vegetarian option – please contact Hannah if you require this as your choice.
- Attendance will qualify for 7 CEU hours (1 Ethics hour included) for social workers. A certificate for attendance will be offered to all other attendees.
- Seating is limited for first 100 registrants.
The Muslim Alliance of Indiana would like to thank the following program sponsors: Indiana Criminal Justice Institute.
Workshop Contact Information: Please contact Hannah Croucher with any questions regarding this event: 317-417-9245 or [email protected]